Saturday, December 23, 2023

White Fleet

Pillsbury Picture Company Catalogue

White Fleet Images


The best source for the photos of the Great White Fleet we thank Bill Stewart, who Great White Fleet site,  has many more of the images, than do we.  

Just recording Grandfather's life accomplishments has taken me more than 30 years thus far. 

In 1978 a fellow named Steve Harrison contacted my father at the behest of Ansel and Virginia Adams, and also has some Great White Fleet photos by Grandfather.  He created his own numbering system, he said.  

I am not sure if there was a numbering system, although it seems as if there must have been, since Grandfather had several that we know of.  

Steve Harrison, who you can read about here,   gave me a copy of the list he was compiling, but what I discovered about him, along with his offer to 'write a book about Grandfather', made first to my father, Dr. Arthur F. Pillsbury, and then to me for $5,000, was rejected.  Dad had seen only one of the articles Steve wrote, but to say these were both inaccurate and completely misstated Grandfather's accomplishments and his real goals, along with his dishonesty, eliminated any question of cooperation with him. 

Dad had made copies of his own letters to Steve and I had those letters among the files Father passed on to me.  To this were added other letters, which told a very enlightening back story.  It seems he was working for the Adams, Ansel and Virginia.  To these more letters were added. 

Rell Francis called me in 2009 and asked for my mailing address, saying he had something I needed to see.  He was certainly right about that. Here is what I later learned about Rell.

That call lasted only about 1 minute.  The package of letters I received from Rell I filed.  At the time, I was moving.  It was not until I began a reorganizing of the Pillsbury archive that I, accidently, put these together with those sent to me by Rell, who also had a correspondence with Harrison.  Cover-Up 1928 - 2023  

Bill Stewart has the best collection, which, again, I commend to your attention.

                                                        The Great White Fleet


.002 Coaling at Punta Arenas


.0010 When the Sun Goes Down


.0011 Sunbeams Sun Beams


.0014 Target Practice 5” Gun


.0015 Fleet Entering the Straights


.0017 Kansas & Conn. At Rio


.0020 The Fleet at Sea


.0023 Setting Up Drill


.0025 1st Division at Anchor


.0028 Battle Targets


.0029 From the Boom’s End


.0030 Swimming Party


.0036 Second Division


.0720 NO CAPTION – Visitors on Stern of Ship


.0721 NO CAPTION - Visitors on Stern of Ship


.0723 NO CAPTION _ Equator crossing party


.0727 NO CAPTION – Equator Crossing Party


.0731 NO CAPTION _ View from ship to following ship


.0774 NO CAPTION - 3 ships steaming before snset PP co back


249 Sunset on the Pacific


483 Trinidad Lighthouse


689 The Connecticut


690 Targets for 3 & 5” Guns


696 Officers & Crew. S. S. Culcoe Copyright 1908 by Pillsbury Picture Co.


700 7” Gun Crew on Minnesota Copyright 1908 by Pillsbury Picture Co.


701 Bakers & Mascot on Minnesota


704 Crew of Georgia Copyright 1908 by Pillsbury Picture Co.


705 The Georgia (Horizontal) The Georgia (vertical – different photo)


724 The Vermont


726 U.S.S. Panther


729 The Kearsarge


737 USS Ohio


739 On the Virginia


743 The Maine


744 Officers & Crew on the Main Copyright 1908 by Pillsbury Picture Co

.

746 Capt. Pond & Mascot “Teddy” on S. S. Buffalo


759 Fleet Passing through Golden Gate


760 Ships following the Fleet in S. F. Bay


760 USS Yankton


760 The Fleet Approaching the Golden Gate, Off Point Bonita Light House


761 The Fleet in the Golden Gate


765 Launches Visiting the Fleet


767 Oakland Barbeque


768 Ships Going to Visit the Fleet


771 Fleet At Anchor, S. F. Bay


772 Fleet Coming in to the Golden Gate